Calder Vets rushin’ to save Moscow the Springer Spaniel

One of our vets has described the dramatic two-day battle to save a Springer Spaniel who had swallowed a pine cone and required emergency surgery to remove a large section of his abdomen. Veterinary surgeon Ben Lord revealed how two-year-old Moscow had to have surgery to remove the rotting cone along with 50cm of his […]

Paws for thought and protect pets at Christmas

We’re warning pet owners to be aware of household hazards which could affect their animals at Christmas in a bid to avoid an emergency trip to surgery. The festive period can present a minefield of potential issues for pets as homes are decorated and a range of food and drink is often accessible. Among the […]

Emergency vets save beloved German Shepherd who choked on toy ball

The owners of a beloved German Shepherd have spoken of their relief after emergency vets saved their pet from choking on his favourite toy ball. Kaiser only survived because he’d previously chewed away a rope which was attached to the ball, leaving a hole in the middle that allowed him to gasp in air after […]

We’re bowled over by the breathtaking feats of Jess the Jack Russell!

Rebecca Brookes was in the middle of an asthma attack, coughing uncontrollably and gasping for breath when Jess, her beloved Jack Russell, came running to the rescue. ‘Amazing Jess’, as she’s now known, had realised the danger and raced off to fetch Rebecca’s inhaler before delivering it to her distressed owner. It was a moment […]

Vet’s bitesize guide to protecting pets’ teeth

It’s important to take care of your pet’s oral health – which is why we offer free dental advice and urge you to be vigilant when looking after your pet’s teeth. Introducing dental checks and scale and polish treatments into your pet’s routine is vital to ensure they stay fit and healthy. We welcomed two […]

Guinea pig goes under the knife for life-saving op

Vets in Dewsbury had to put their surgery skills to the test to perform a life-saving operation on a tiny guinea pig. Little Alfie, a five-year-old guinea pig, was taken to Calder Vets’ 24-hour Dewsbury animal hospital after his owner became concerned that his usual array of squeaks and squeals had taken on more anguished […]

Protect pets from the heat as heatwave continues

We’ve recently introduced free heatwave appointments with our nurses to help pet owners keep their animals safe in the heat as forecasters predict the sizzling summer will continue across the UK. With the sun shining across the country and temperatures set to stay high over the coming weeks, Calder Vets is encouraging people to make […]

New vet practice in Leeds open for business

We are delighted to announce our new practice in Halton, Leeds is now open for business. We welcomed three talented primary school children, who showed off their artistic skills by drawing colourful creatures, to officially open our 13th practice in Yorkshire on Friday, July 6. Prior to the opening, youngsters from Templenewsam Halton Primary School […]

Kanga bouncing after physiotherapy at Calder Vets

This is Kanga, a 10-year-old English Springer Spaniel who recently visited our Dewsbury practice for physiotherapy. Although she is 10, Kanga still behaves like a puppy. She has IOHC in her left elbow, which means the growth plates in her elbow didn’t fuse together fully when she was growing. This is quite common with her breed and […]

Vets warn of the dangers of Chinese lanterns to animals

A leading Yorkshire vet practice is urging Christmas and New Year revellers to reconsider celebrating the festive season by launching Chinese sky lanterns. While they provide an entrancing sight as they float across the night sky, the lanterns can cause serious harm – and even death – to wildlife and outdoor pets due to the […]